Scope and Contents
Call Number: SC1147
Stanford University. Center for Integrated
Title: Stanford University, Center for Integrated Systems,
0.25 Linear feet
Summary: Background and planning documents relating to the founding of
the Center for Integrated Systems.
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Gift of Gregory Kovacs, 2013.
Information about Access
The materials are open for research use.
Ownership & Copyright
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University
Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent is
given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not
intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission
must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See:
Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of
digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
[identification of item], Stanford University, Center for Integrated Systems, Records
(SC1147). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University
Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
Stanford University Website Collection (SC1015)
The proposal for the Center for Integrated Systems was written in 1978 as a joint effort
by Electrical Engineering Professors Michael J. Flynn, James F. Gibbons, John G.
Linvill, and James D. Meindl. Included in the proposal were the statements:
“The products of the Center for Integrated Systems will be educated people, primarily
doctoral student, and research results.” …and
“Research results coming out of the studies at the Center for Integrated Systems and, in
particular, from the experimental work involved at the Center are projected to be of
significant usefulness to the sponsors of the research and to the industrial community
to which the Center is connected.”
Linvill, Meindl, and other colleagues had realized that the exponential growth of
semiconductor technology was creating problems and challenges that were too big and
complex for one discipline to tackle. The process of designing integrated systems was
beginning to involve computer architects, circuit engineers, material engineers and
software design engineers. Linvill and his colleagues wanted to bring together the best
people from all the fields, which contribute and/or make use of integrated circuitry,
which would also enable close interactions with industry. In 1980, the CIS Development
Committee, headed by John Young, president of Hewlett-Packard, was formed. Working with
this committee, Linvill began recruiting companies to underwrite a new research center
that is now the Center for Integrated Systems.
Originally housed in the basement of the McCullough Building at Stanford, ground was
broken for a new building in 1983 and the present CIS building was completed in 1985.
The heart of the CIS building is its 10,500 square foot integrated circuit fabrication
laboratory. Surrounding the laboratory are smaller supporting laboratories, several
conference rooms and both open and closed offices.
On March 26, 1984, the president of France became a Stanford student for a day. Francois
Mitterrand visited the Center for Integrated Systems to meet with Stanford professors
and technology magnates to learn more about the emerging economic powerhouse called
In 1996, the CIS building was expanded due in large part to Paul Allen’s (Co-founder of
the Microsoft Corporation) gift to the School of Engineering. The building was
subsequently renamed the Paul G. Allen Building. The new extension provides 52,000 gross
square feet to service various labs and conference areas.
Original Industrial Sponsors were:
Digital Equipment Corporation
Fairchild Camera and Instrument corporation
General Electric Company
GTE Laboratories, Incorporated
International Business Machines Corporation
Monsanto Electronic Materials Company
Philips Research Laboratories/Signetics Corporation
Texas Instruments, Incorporated
United Technologies Corporation
In addition to Mr. Allen's gift, the following donors contributed to make the building
Apple Computer, Inc.
Peter G. Behr
Estate of Eleanor Buchanan
Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Estate of James D. Fleming
Ford Motor Company
William R. Hewlett
Scope and Contents
The materials consist of background and planning documents, meeting minutes,
correspondence, and proposals relating to the founding of the Center for Integrated
Systems at Stanford University.
Feigenbaum, Edward A.
Hellman, Martin E.
Linvill, John G., 1919-2011.
Meindl, James D., 1933-
Miller, William F.
Stanford University. Dept. of Electrical
Electrical engineering--Study and teaching.