The Silvergate Riding Club was founded by Rachel G. Wegeforth in 1924 as a private equestrian society. Originally named the
Silvergate Riding and Driving Association, the Club operated out of the Balboa Park Riding Academy and focused on western
riding instruction. The co-ed group also hosted a multitude of social activities, including trail rides, picnics, scavenger
hunts, and breakfast functions. In 1933, the Balboa Park Stables and the organization’s clubhouse were destroyed by a fire.
That same year, the Club began hosting their popular horse shows. The shows, which attracted up to 800 participants, were
held annually until 1986, with the exception of 1943 during World War II. After the 1933 fire, the Club, in preparation for
the California Pacific International Exposition, rebuilt the stables and a large riding arena in south Balboa Park near San
Diego High School. In 1946 they founded the Bridlewise Club, a junior riding organization, to promote horsemanship among San
Diego youth. Construction of the crosstown freeway (later called Interstate 5) in 1960 forced the Club to move from their
Balboa Park facilities to Bonita Valley Farms, a ranch run by a member, Robert Bradley. From 1978-1983, the Club's annual
horse shows were held at Dehesa Farms Equestrian Center in El Cajon. The Club officially dissolved in 1994.