Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION
MS 142  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.32 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION
    Dates: 1860s
    Collection Number: MS 142
    Creator/Collector: Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad
    Extent: 1 oversize box
    Repository: California State Railroad Museum Library
    Abstract: Select traffic records from the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    PLACERVILLE AND SACRAMENTO VALLEY RAILROAD COLLECTION. California State Railroad Museum Library

    Acquisition Information

    Transfer from California State Parks, Museum Collections (Margaret Kelley Collection).

    Biography/Administrative History

    The Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad, 26.20 miles between Folsom Junction and Shingle Springs, was incorporated June 12, 1862, and constructed between 1863 and June of 1865. Mortgage on the property was foreclosed on May 21, 1869 and sold at judicial sale July 2, 1869 to William Alvord. On July 21, 1871, title was conveyed to Alvord who, on the same day, conveyed to Collis P. Huntington, Leland Stanford and Mark Hopkins of the Central Pacific. These three, in turn, by deed of sale dated May 28, 1877, transferred the property to the Sacramento & Placerville Railroad. The P&SV was operated by its own company from August of 1864 to July 21, 1871, by Huntington, Stanford and Hopkins to January 1, 1873, by the Sacramento Valley to April 19, 1877, and by the Sacramento & Placerville from April 19, 1877 to May 28, 1877. The P&SV did not own any rolling stock, and leased their engines and cars from the Sacramento Valley Rail Road. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 391]

    Scope and Content of Collection

    A leather bound volume of pre-printed forms dated 186- to record the number of tickets sold each day of the month at the following stations: Placerville, Diamond Springs, El Dorado, Shingle Springs, Latrobe, Cothrin's, White Rock, Folsom, Alder Creek, Saulsbury's, Patterson's, Junction, Brighton, Sacramento, Freeport. There is no information recorded in this volume.