The Chester J. Carjola drawings span 6 linear feet and date from circa 1930 to circa 1955. The collection consists of architectural
drawings and reprographic copies for the following Santa Barbara based projects: the Converse residence, the Cottage Hospital
connecting passage, the Golden West estates, the Emily W. De Ware residence addition, the A. H. Woodhill residence, Wilson
Elementary School, and the Sterling Morton residence. The collection is also composed of three presentation boards for the
following projects: the Mrs. W.P. Hamilton residence, the Converse residence, and an unidentified residence dated 1930.
Chester Carjola was born in 1901 in Menehga, Minnesota. In 1928, he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in architecture from
the University of Minnesota. A year later in 1929, Carjola and his wife moved to Santa Barbara, California. It was in Santa
Barbara that Carjola decided to set up his own architectural practice, which he operated for thirty years, from 1932 until
1962 (the year he retired). Chester Carjola died in October of 1985. Over the course of his career his more notable projects
include: the Museum of Natural History Auditorium (Santa Barbara), the Tuberculosis Hospital (Santa Barbara), and the University
of California, Santa Barbara Library.
6.0 Linear feet
(7 flat file folders and 1 box)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.