Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the Aull Brothers Collection MS.676
MS.676  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (77.31 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains a 1928 publication titled Letters of James and Robert Aull and an undated manuscript, typed copies of newspaper clippings and correspondence by or about the Aull brothers from 1825-1925.
Background
The Aull family was active in business affairs in western Missouri from the period of Missouri's early statehood. John Aull was the first member of the family to settle in the state, establishing a general store in Lexington. His brothers, James and Robert, came west in 1825, formed a partnership in 1830, and operated businesses in Richmond, Liberty, Independence, as well as the main store in Lexington. Their partnership lasted until 1837. According to the balance sheets from 1834, the total assets of the Lexington store of James and Robert Aull exceeded $142,000, while those of the Liberty, Richmond and Independence operations ranged from $51,000 to $61,000. James Aull was the major partner in each store with a third investor in each of the three branches. They conducted a lively trade in many commodities, from staples and tools to books, clothing, medicines, and luxuries purchased from as far afield as Philadelphia and New Orleans. The brothers also owned a ropewalk at Liberty for the manufacture of hemp rope, operated the Blue River Mill which ground flour for sale in their stores, and dabbled in the Santa Fe trade.
Extent
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research. Appointments to view materials are required. To make an appointment please visit http://theautry.org/research/research-rules-and-application or contact library staff at rroom@theautry.org.