The records in this series include materials related to the various campuses that have housed the University since 1948.
The University's first year in 1947 took place in classrooms at Sinai Temple. Starting from 1948, the campuses included 612
South Ardmore Avenue, 6525 Sunset Blvd., and 15600 Mulholland Drive.
Subseries in this collection include the South Ardmore Avenue Campus, Sunset Blvd. Campus, and 15600 Mulholland Drive: The
Familian Campus (FC).
The American Jewish University, with its Familian campus in Bel Air, California and Brandeis-Bardin campus in Simi Valley, California, is the outcome of
the 2007 union of Brandeis-Bardin Institute (BBI) and the University of Judaism (UJ). The Ostrow Library, is designed to meet the needs of the University's faculty and students, as well as scholars conducting research in all fields
of Jewish culture and civilization. Members of the general public are also invited to use the Library’s materials for personal
enrichment and enjoyment. With approximately 110,000 print volumes, the library's collections have grown consistently through
endowments, gifts of major private collections and an ongoing acquisition program.The Burton Sperber Jewish Community Library at American Jewish University now serves as the official Jewish Community Library of Los Angeles. This new library succeeds
the original Peter M. Kahn Jewish Community Library that was formerly housed at the Los Angeles Jewish Federation. Dedicated
by his family in memory of noted Los Angeles philanthropist and landscape developer Burton Sperber, this library welcomes
the entire Los Angeles Jewish community to enjoy its state-of-the-art facility including regularly scheduled programs for
children and families as well as author and other literary encounters.The Lowy-Winkler Family Rare Book Center, a gift of Peter and Janine Lowy, is home to the Maslan Bible Collection. This unusual assemblage of exceptional volumes
includes approximately 4,000 Bibles, some dating back almost to the inception of the printing press. This collection also
features bible translations representing most of the written languages of the world, as well as the Kalman-Friedman Collection
of Italian Judaica.The University Archives of the American Jewish University is a collection of documents, pamphlets, recordings, letters, publications, photographs,
scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged
to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses.
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission
of the copyright owners. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreement,
donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially
exploited without permission of the copyright holder. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.