Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the California Street Cable Railroad Company records, 1884-1952
BANC MSS C-G 254  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (75.04 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Background
In 1874, Leland Stanford set out to promote the idea of a cable car for California Street, the principle ascent of Nob Hill from the east, with a more reasonable grade than Clay Street. In 1876, in collaboration with several associates in the Central Pacific Railroad, he secured the franchise, and construction was begun on July 5, 1877. The line ran between Kearney Street at the foot of Nob Hill to Fillmore Street in the Western Addition, a distance of about 1.7 miles, and a power house, designed by W.W. Hanscom, was put in at Larkin Street. Initially, the line operated with 25 grip cars and trailers built by the Kimball Manufacturing Company and the Central Pacific shops.
Extent
Number of containers: 8 boxes, 9 cartons, 3 oversize boxes, 36 volumes Linear feet: 23
Restrictions
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Availability
Collection is open for research.