The San Fernando Women's Club was
formed as a non-profit organization in 1929, following the combination of several
women's groups, including the Elective Study Club and the San Fernando Ebell Club.
The collection provides insight into women's social and civic lives in the San
Fernando Valley during the twentieth century. The social and charitable activities of
the club and its Junior membership branch are documented through meeting minutes,
membership data, reports, press clippings, and financial records.
The San Fernando Women's Club was initially established after the merger of local
women's clubs in 1926, including the Elective Study Club, founded in 1907. The Club
became the San Fernando Cosmos Club after its 1929 merger with the San Fernando Ebell
Club, and retained this title until 1959 when members voted to change the club's
name back to the San Fernando Women's Club. The Junior branch of the club, founded
in 1930, followed the pattern of its parent organization. It was known as the San
Fernando Junior Cosmos Club until it altered its name to the San Fernando Junior
Women's Club in 1959.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17,
U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the
copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited
without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests
exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.