This collection consists of business papers pertaining to the formation and operation of Standard Iron Works, founded in San
Diego, California in 1891.
In 1885, business partners Moses Hughes and W. G. Riffenberg began to buy up real estate in Block 137 of Horton’s Addition
to San Diego, with an interest to starting a local iron works company. Ownership fluctuated over the next several years in
a series of partnerships and dissolutions involving Moses Hughes, W. G. Riffenberg, A. Ames, Patrick Joseph Wallace, and William
Gehring. In 1888 Hughes & Co. was officially formed. In 1891 that partnership was dissolved and Standard Iron Works was announced
in its stead.
0.25 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.