The San Diego Turner movement began in 1873, when a group of German-Americans formed the first ‘turnverein,’ or gymnastics
club. In the 19th century, these fitness clubs were popular across the United States, and provided a place for Americans of
German descent to gather to celebrate their heritage and participate in athletic events. The first San Diego Turner club,
the ‘Teutonia,’ only lasted 2 years and was disbanded in 1875 for unknown reasons. In 1884, the Turnverein was re-established
by J.A. Cohn. The new club, called the ‘Eintracht,’ began with 80 members, but soon grew to 120 participants. The first Turner
Hall was built on the corner of 8th and G Streets in downtown San Diego. Shortly after, the San Diego economic boom ended,
the Turners fell on hard financial times, resulting in the loss of both their meeting hall and many of their members.