Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
INVENTORY OF THE CHARLES H. EILERS COLLECTION, 1872-2009
Consult repository.  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (81.04 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains materials related to Charles “Carl” H. Eilers (1875-1948) and his family. The Eilers owned and farmed Rancho San Pedro Lands between Dominguez, Alameda, Del Amo, and Santa Fe streets in what was to become Carson, CA from 1889 to 1958. Included in the collection are deeds and title papers, tax reports, receipts, statements, court papers and legal documents, ledgers, correspondence, photographs, newspaper articles, and books. Bulk of material in English, with some correspondence in German.
Background
Charles H. Eilers was a German immigrant and long time resident and farmer in the Los Angeles County area now part of Carson. Charles was born in the area of Varel Germany on March 13, 1875. He came to the United States in 1889 at the age of 14 with his cousin Anton Luebkemann, and first lived in Redondo Beach where Anton ran a dairy known as “Klipton by the Sea”. Eilers worked on Anton’s dairy until he repaid Luebkemann for the transportation costs of coming to America. In 1896 he attempted to gain land through the Homestead Act of 1862, but did not complete the five years of custody required to receive ownership. After gaining citizenship in 1897 he purchased a track of land in 1898 in the Dominguez Colony, a sub-division of the Rancho San Pedro. At this time the area was referred to as Cerritos and was open farmland with nothing more than a single country store. For the first several years Charles leased the land to others to farm. During this time Eilers lived and worked elsewhere, including for the Hemet Land and Water Company, returning to Germany for a year, and in Santa Paula for the Lemoneira Company.
Extent
4 boxes, 2 linear ft
Restrictions
Per the collection donor, only records concerning the Eilers’ Dominguez farm may be considered for publication. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Availability
There are no access restrictions on this collection.