Incorporated April 1, 1878, as successor to the New Orleans, Opelousas and Great Western. About 1883 the Morgan's Louisiana
and Texas Railroad and Steamship Company came under the influence of Central Pacific management and on March 1, 1885, was
leased to the Southern Pacific Company, but was operated as a separated company until title transferred to the Texas and New
Orlean on March 1, 1927. The road had about fifty locomotives, which, in 1884, went into the T&NO roster, although the initials
ML&T, indicating corporate ownership, remained on the engines until 1916. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM
LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), pp. 424-426].
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Capital District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.