A collection of photographs and postcards focusing on Navajo and Hopi Indians and various Indian schools and schoolchildren
throughout Arizona, mostly in ca. 1927. There are views of Peach Springs Trading Post, the Cameron Suspension Bridge trading
post, missions at Chinle and Lukachukai (Arizona), Navajo family groups, Navajo schools at Tuba City and Oraibi (Arizona),
and Navajo school crafts fairs and exhibits. Acoma, Apache, Tohono O'odham (Papago), and Hualapai Indians are also represented.
The photographs were taken from 1890 to 1927, but the bulk of the collection was created during the 1920s. Includes some photographs
by George Wharton James, E.E. Hall, and Burton Frasher (Frasher Fotos) .
Sigurd Russell was born in 1885 and became a well-seasoned traveler in his formative years after being moved around Europe
for his education. In order to support himself as an adult, he became a journalist, and founded the “Lamanda Park Herald”
(later the “East Pasadena Herald”) in 1915. Russell later became a teacher at Los Angeles High School, and used school vacations
to travel to the Southwest. During these trips, he may have written about the Indians who lived there for the Southwest Museum,
as Charles F. Lummis frequently attended parties at the Russell house. In his later years, Russell’s health grew worse and
he died due to heart complications in 1946. [See transcript of oral interview with Beatrice Russell Beck in library files.]
144 photographs and 22 postcards in 1 box; prints and postcards 12 x 16.5 cm. (4.75 x 6.5 in.) and smaller. See list of photos
by topic under “Additional collection guides.”
All requests for permission to publish photographs must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Photographs. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Huntington as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or
imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Access is granted to qualified researchers and by appointment. Please contact the Curator of Photographs at the Huntington