Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Canoga Park High School Collection, 1914-1957
URB/CPHS  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (100.63 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Biographical Information:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Arrangement of Materials:
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Canoga Park High School Collection
    Dates: 1914-1957
    Identification: URB/CPHS
    Creator: Canoga Park High School, 1914-1957 Hicks, Ermon K.
    Physical Description: 0.42 linear feet
    Language of Materials: English
    Repository: Urban Archives
    Abstract: The Canoga Park High School Collection consists of photocopies of the student newspaper, commencement programs, playbills, football rosters and schedules, programs from installation and awards ceremonies, and high school events. The collection also contains programs for community and holiday events, a yearbook, and Ermon K. Hicks’ graduation announcement. The History of Canoga Park High School is documented by two publications, the first a narrative fragment compiled from the Canoga Park High School History Scrapbook, and the second, a collection of letters written to the school, the school principal, or members of the faculty by alumni in military service during World War II.

    Biographical Information:

    Canoga Park High School (CPHS) is the oldest high school in the west San Fernando Valley. It opened with 14 students and 2 teachers on October 4, 1914. CPHS was originally named Owensmouth High School. In 1914, CPHS was located on the second floor of Owensmouth Grammar School. The first graduation on the campus of Owensmouth High School occurred in June 1916. The graduating class consisted of two students, Edith Haas and Solly H. Patrick. On September 11, 1916, Owensmouth High started the school year with a new building and a new location at 6850 Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Canoga Park. Included in the new campus was an open air theater known as the Greek Theater which served as a venue for entertainment, plays and commencements.
    On June 12, 1929, a fire destroyed the upper floor of the school. The left and right wings remained in use, but bungalows were required until the completion of new buildings in early 1931. In 1931, the town of Owensmouth changed its name to Canoga Park and the school was also renamed Canoga Park High School. In 1953, the Greek Theater was torn down to make room for a physical education field and in 1971 an earthquake destroyed many of its original iconic buildings. New air conditioned structures opened in 1978. The mascot for the school is a hunter and their sports teams are known as the Hunters.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Paper records

    Geographic Name:

    Canoga Park (Los Angeles, Calif.)
    San Fernando Valley (Calif.)

    Administrative Information

    Processing Information:

    Shawn Stamm, September 2010

    Conditions Governing Use:

    Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    This collection is open for research use.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], [date], Canoga Park High School Collection , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge.

    Arrangement of Materials:

    Series I: Ermon K. Hicks Files, 1934-1937
    Series II: Historical Files, 1914-1957

    Scope and Contents

    The History of Canoga Park High School is documented by two publications, the first a narrative fragment compiled from the Canoga Park High School History Scrapbook, and the second, a collection of letters written to the school, the school principal, or members of the faculty by alumni in military service during World War II. The Canoga Park High School Collection is divided into two series, the Ermon K. Hicks Files (1934-1937), arranged alphabetically, and Historical Files (1914-1957), arranged chronologically.