Scope and Content
Title: Edward Durell Stone
Bulk dates: 1940s-1970s
Collection Number: archStone
Stone, Edward Durell,
6 flat boxes, 2 tube boxes, 5 document boxes
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens.
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, California 91108
Phone: (626) 405-2191
Abstract: Edward Durell Stone was an
internationally known architect who was active from the 1920s through the 1960s. At
the suggestion of Thomas D. Church, Arthur Hanisch, owner and president of the
Stuart Pharmaceutical Company, hired Stone to design its new headquarters in
Pasadena, California. The material in this collection depicts the Stuart building
from concept to completion primarily through photographs, drawings and published
articles. Ludwig Lauerhass, Jr., the vice president of Stuart at the time, collected
publicity related to Stone and the Stuart building. In addition, there are sketches
and plans for Lauerhass' personal residence in Altadena which was never built.
Language of Material: The records are in English.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services
Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one,
and obtaining permission rests with the researcher.
[Identification of item], Edward Durell Stone Collection, The Huntington Library,
San Marino, California.
Gift of Ludwig Lauerhass, Jr., 1984.
Related Materials in the Huntington Library
This collection contains photographs by Maynard Parker of E. D. Stone's commercial and residential work.
Scope and Content
The Edward Durell Stone Collection consists primarily of photographs, drawings,
correspondence and publicity related to the Stuart Pharmaceutical Building in
Pasadena. The Stuart Company was designed by Stone and the gardens were designed by
Thomas D. Church and Associates. Construction began on the building in 1956. The
collection was amassed by the vice president of Stuart, Ludwig Lauerhass, Jr. Much
of the material was collected by Lauerhass in conjunction with the building of
Stuart and the subsequent publicity the building and its architect received after
It should be noted that, other than the photographs and some of the correspondence,
there is very little in the way of original documentation for the Stuart building.
Most of the drawings are blueprint copies and they do not comprise a complete set.
Please consult the Curator for further details.
Architects – California.
Architecture -- California -- Los
Architecture -- Designs and
Landscape Architects -- California --
Landscape Architecture -- California --