Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes Collection
Graduate Theological Union
Graduate Theological Union2013
2400 Ridge Road
Berkeley, California 94709
Title: Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes Collection
Collection Number: GTU 97-12-03
Creator/Collector: Adams, Caroline Babcock Babcock, Helen E. Babcock, F. Elizabeth Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes Presbyterian Church (U.S.A)
Extent: 4 linear feet (6 boxes)
Repository: Graduate Theological Union
Berkeley, California 94709
Abstract: The Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes (BPMH) is a ministry related to the Presbytery of San Francisco that operates through a California non-profit corporation. Founded in 1937, the BPMH originally provided housing for international missionaries who were in between assignments or retiring.By 1997, it mainly provided housing for students and professors at San Francisco Theological Seminary or other local seminaries.
Language of Material: English
Open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to The Graduate Theological Union. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Graduate Theological Union as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes Collection. Graduate Theological Union
Virginia Hadsell, president of the BPMH board of directors, donated the collection in March 1997.
The Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes (BPMH) was founded in 1937 by Mrs. Caroline Babcock Adams and her sisters, Miss Helen E. Babcock and Miss F. Elizabeth Babcock. The BPMH is a ministry related to the Presbytery of San Francisco that operates through a California non-profit corporation. The homes are operated by a board of directors and a manager who lives on-site.The initial facilities consisted of a court of seven cottages. The BPMH expanded in 1967 with the purchase of six apartment units and two larger homes. These facilities originally provided temporary housing for international missionary personnel who were going to or from fields of service, on furlough or in the process of preparing to retire. By 1997 the BPMH primarily provided housing for students and professors from across the United States and around the world that were working towards advance degrees at the San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS) or one of the other seminaries of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU). Though priority is given to mission personnel of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) persons from other countries and denominations are welcome. Part of the Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes’ Mission Statement in 1997 included the goal of "permitting the residents to grow into a world community and a real mission presence within the larger church community." This goal is reflected in the activities and events of the BPMH, which includes study groups and discussions, social gatherings, an annual Open House, lectures and evening conversations with international church leaders. The BPMH continues to operate in this capacity.
The Collection contains three Series: 1) Administration; 2) Operations; and 3) Residents. The materials include administrative records, correspondence, financial records, resident records, newsletters, and architectural plans.
Temporary housing – Missionaries – California – Berkeley
Missionaries – Leaves and furloughs
Missionaries – Correspondence
Student housing – California – Berkeley