Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Santa Clara University Scrapbook Collection
R.G. 3C  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (99.38 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Santa Clara University Scrapbook Collection, 1890-2014 (bulk 1902-1988), consists of ninety-six scrapbooks documenting more than a century of SCU history. Created by the university, students, faculty, and supporting organizations, the scrapbooks chronicle numerous aspects of university life, from descriptions of important events, such as commencement and anniversary celebrations, to significant changes, such as the transition to a coeducational campus. The scrapbooks provide information about academic achievements and innovations, campus athletics, the growth of the university, student activities and protests, and the role of the university in surrounding communities. Scrapbooks are primarily comprised of newspaper clippings but also include photographs and ephemeral items.
Background
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asís, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
Extent
160.0 linear feet, 96 scrapbooks
Availability
The collection is open for research.