This collections consists of documents and brochures from the undergraduate Environmental Design Department, and the Environmental-related
coursework prior to the establishment of the department in 1993. Of particular note is a 1938 brochure of a Kem Weber course.
There are also some files on special projects led by Chair Patricia Belton-Oliver in the early 2000s that eventually led to
the creation of the Educational Planning Office.There are related CDs of media kits containing images of student work and Environmental Design projects from the early 2000s.
Environmental Design became an independent department in February 1992, with Patricia Belton-Oliver as the chair. Prior to
that it was a program under the Industrial Design Department beginning in 1970 led by Bruce Burdick. Environmental design-related
courses began as early as 1931 when the Industrial Design department began, under the leadership of Kem Weber. In the early
1960s a concentration titled "Design for Merchandising" was available under the ID Department, and by the late 1960s there
was a concentration titled "Interior-space Design."List of Chairs (including early Industrial Design Chairs):Kem Weber (1932-circa 1941)George Jergenson (circa 1948 - 1969)Keith Teter (1969-circa 1986)Environmental Design programBruce Burdick (1970-1977)Gaylord Eckles, coordinator (1977-1992)Environmental Design DepartmentPatricia Belton-Oliver (1992-circa 2002)Peter di Sabatino (2003-2004)David Mocarski (2004 - present)
Copyright held by Art Center College of Design (Pasadena, Calif.). No restrictions. Collection is open for research by appointment.