Scope and Content
Title: Department of Kinesiology. Minutes of Committees and Staff Meetings.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 334
UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material:
1.2 linear ft.
Record Series 334 contains minutes of meetings held by committees and staff of UCLA's Department of Kinesiology.
Department of Kinesiology
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection is heldby the Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All request for permission are to be made through
the University Archive Reference Desk.
[Identification of item], Department of Kinesiology. Minutes of Committees and Staff Meetings (University Archives Record
Series 334). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.
The Department of Kinesiology trace its origins to the Department of Physical Education established in 1915 as part of the
Los Angeles State Normal School. In 1919 the department became part of the Teachers College of the Southern Branch, with separate
departments for men and women. During the 1920s, the department's efforts were devoted to the training of Physical Education
teachers and the administration of the Physical Education classes that were required of all undergraduates. In 1932 the Men's
and Women's Gymnasiums were completed. In 1938 the M.S. degree in Physical Education was authorized. In 1939 the department
became part of the newly established College of Applied Arts. In 1952 separate divisions for men and women were eliminated.
In 1960 the College of Applied Arts was dissolved and replaced by the College of Fine Arts. The Physical Education Department
was then transferred to the College of Letters and Science, Division of Life Sciences. In 1962 the revised physical education
major was approved and focused on Kinesiology (the science of human movement) and one of three allied fields: physiology,
psychology, or sociology. In 1973 the department changed its name to Kinesiology. When Donald T. Hardy retired in 1976, he
was recognized as the founding father of the Kinesiology department. The department first offered a Ph.D. degree in Kinesiology
in 1979. In 1990 the Kinesiology Department changed its name to the Physiological Sciences Department.
Since 1937 the chairmanship of what is now called the Physiological Sciences Department has been held successively by Frederick
W. Cozens (1937-39), John F. Bovard (1939-47), Carl Haven Young (1947-52), Ben W. Miller (1952-62), Donald T. Handy (1962-1975),
Jack F. Keogh (1975-1978), Serena E. Arnold (1978-1980), Judith L. Smith (1980-1985), V. Reggie Edgerton (1985-1989), Ronald
F. Zernicke (1989-1992), Jack L. Feldman (1993- )
Scope and Content
Record Series 334 contains minutes of meetings held by committees and staff of UCLA's Department of Kinesiology. Files include
meeting minutes of the following: staff meetings for the men's and women's divisions of the Physical Education Department
(1932-1978), Advisory Committee (1948-1953), Counseling and Guidance Committee (1949-1951), Curriculum Committee, Physical
Education and Military Affairs Committee (1944-1951), and several other committees.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.