Scope and Content
Title: Kinesiology Department. Chair. Correspondence files.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 328
UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material:
3.6 linear ft.
Record Series 328 contains the general correspondence of chairs of UCLA's Kinesiology Department.
University of California, Los Angeles. Kinesiology Department.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], Kinesiology Department. Chair. Correspondence files (University Archives Record Series 328). UCLA
Library Special Collections, University Archives.
The Department of Kinesiology trace its origins to the Department of Physical Education, which was established in 1915 as
part of the Los Angeles State Normal School. In 1919 the department became part of the Teachers College of the Southern Branch,
with separate departments for men and women. During the 1920s, the department's efforts were devoted to the training of Physical
Education teachers and the administration of the Physical Education classes that were required of all undergraduates. In 1932
the Men's and Women's Gymnasiums were completed. In 1938 the M.S. degree in Physical Education was authorized. In 1939 the
department became part of the newly established College of Applied Arts. In 1952 separate divisions for men and women were
eliminated. In 1960 the College of Applied Arts was dissolved and replaced by the College of Fine Arts. The Physical Education
Department was then transferred to the College of Letters and Science, Division of Life Sciences. In 1962 the revised physical
education major was approved and focused on Kinesiology (the science of human movement) and one of three allied fields: physiology,
psychology, or sociology. In 1973 the department changed its name to Kinesiology. When Donald T. Hardy retired in 1976, he
was recognized as the founding father of the Kinesiology department. The department first offered a Ph.D. degree in Kinesiology
in 1979. In 1990 the Kinesiology Department changed its name to the Physiological Sciences Department.
Since 1937 the chairmanship of what is now called the Physiological Sciences Department has been held successively by Frederick
W. Cozens (1937-1939), John F. Bovard (1939-1947), Carl Haven Young (1947-1952), Ben W. Miller (1952-1962), Donald T. Handy
(1962-1975), Jack F. Keogh (1975-1978), Serena E. Arnold (1978-1980), Judith L. Smith (1980-1985), V. Reggie Edgerton (1985-1989),
Ronald F. Zernicke (1989-1992), and Jack L. Feldman (1993- ).
Scope and Content
Record Series 328 contains the general correspondence of chairs of UCLA's Kinesiology Department (formerly known as the Department
of Physical Education). Files include the correspondence of John Bovard, Carl Haven Young, Ben W. Miller, and Donald T. Handy.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.