The County Fairgrounds Collection consists of materials pertaining to the County Fair and Fairgrounds ranging from 1939 to
2009. These materials include: Fairgrounds' Board meeting minutes, financial reports, programs, premium lists, administrative
files, photographs, slides, negatives, video and audio tapes, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, blueprints, press kits/books,
Fairgrounds publications, Senior Expo records, and ephemera.
The Santa Clara County Fairgrounds has held the annual county fair since 1941. While a fair was held in San Jose during the
late nineteenth century, Santa Clara County did not have a fair during the early 1900s, despite the county's prominence in
agriculture and livestock. Therefore the Santa Clara Valley Fair Association was created in 1937 in order to create a fair.
On October 28, 1940 the County Board of Supervisors purchased the 97 acre Macomber Ranch on Tully Road for $35,000 from H.
Kirk Macomber. On March 12, 1941 the County authorized the renamed Santa Clara County Fair Association to run the fair.