Finding Aid to The Cipias and Ypotlapiguas MS.847
Finding aid prepared by Holly Rose Larson
Autry National Center, Braun Research Library2012 December 12
234 Museum Drive
Los Angeles, CA, 90065-5030
Title: The Cipias and Ypotlapiguas
Identifier/Call Number: MS.847
Contributing Institution: Autry National Center, Braun Research Library
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract: Albert H. Schroeder was an archaeologist with the National Park Service at the Headquarters of the Southwest National Monuments at Globe, Arizona. This is a carbon copy of a typed manuscript by Schroeder entitled "The Cipias and Ypotlapiguas," which appeared in Arizona Quarterly, vol. 12, no. 2, 1956 Summer.
creator: Manso, Thomas
creator: Schroeder, Albert H.
Albert H. Schroeder was a professional archaeologist for the National Park Service for thirty years, retiring in 1976 as chief interpreter for the Southwest region. He was also active in historical and archaeological professional societies, had a responsible role in the historic preservation of cultural sites, and taught fieldwork methodology. It is estimated that he produced nearly 200 articles, reports, reviews, and monographs during and after his active career.
This is a carbon copy of a typed manuscript entitled "The Cipias and Ypotlapiguas," which appeared in Arizona Quarterly, vol. 12, no. 2, 1956, Summer, written by Albert H. Schroeder. This manuscript is accompanied by a photo print of a hand-drawn map of Arizona, New Mexico, Chihuahua, and Sonora.
This is a translation into English of a document written in Spanish in 1646 by Franciscan friar Thomas Manso. It concerns what turned out to be a temporary incursion of Franciscan missionaries into northeastern Sonora in the first half of the seventeenth century, an incursion that brought them into contact with a group of Indians whom they labeled Cipias, who by another name are called Ymiris. Schroeder suggests these people may have been either Opata or Northern Piman Indians (O'odham) in the vicinity of modern-day Imuris, Sonora.
The Cipias and Ypotlapiguas, 1954, Braun Research Library Collection, Autry National Center, Los Angeles; MS.847.
Processed by Library staff before 1981. Finding aid completed by Holly Rose Larson, NHPRC Processing Archivist, 2012 December 12, made possible through grant funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commissions (NHPRC).
Donated by Albert H. Schroeder, 1954.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research. Appointments to view materials are required. To make an appointment please visit http://theautry.org/research/research-rules-and-application or contact library staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Indians of North America -- Missions -- Southwest, New