A collection of albumen photographs of 12 California Missions, taken by nineteenth-century photographer William Henry Jackson
sometime between 1885 and 1890.
One or more images of the following missions are included: San Antonio de Padua, San Carlos Borroméo de Carmel, San Diego
San Fernando Rey, San Francisco de Asís, San Gabriel Arcángel, San Juan Bautista, San Juan Capistrano, San Luis Rey, San Miguel
Santa Barbara and Santa Ines. The photographs primarily show the missions’ front façades or courtyards, both in ruins and
with slight repair work.
William Henry Jackson was born April 4, 1843, in Keeseville, New York. While growing up, Jackson taught himself how to
paint and draw; at the age of 15, he was first exposed to photography through a job he took at a local photographer's studio.
After serving in the Civil War, he went to Omaha,
Nebraska, to help run a photography studio with his brothers.
In 1869, Jackson was approached by Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden, the head of the United States Geological Survey of the Territories,
who asked Jackson to join his team. Jackson did so, and
for the next seven years took photographs of hot springs, geysers, and mineral formations in the territory that is now Yellowstone
National Park. After this project, Jackson began to take
photographs of landmarks along the Union Pacific Railroad to sell to tourists.
At some point between 1885 and 1890, Jackson traveled to California and took photographs of the California missions, which
were then in ruins and being viewed in a romantic light as part
of California's mythic past. To cater to tourists, Jackson photographed most, if not all, of the missions and sold them to
the steady stream of sightseers.
At the age of 81, Jackson swapped photography for painting, focusing on the development of the American West as his subjects.
He died on June 30, 1942, in New York City at the age of 99.
39 albumen photographs 17.8 x 23.5 cm. (7 x 9 ¼ in.), on mounts measuring 20 x 25.5 cm. (8 x 10 in.)
All requests for permission to publish photographs must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Photographs. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Huntington as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or
imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
The collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information,
please visit the Huntington's website: www.huntington.org.