The Motion Picture Society for the Americas records span the years 1930-1948 (bulk 1942-1945) and
encompasses 17.2 linear feet. The collection contains correspondence; research; story files, primarily
consisting of script material, sometimes accompanied by correspondence and research material; and other
The Motion Picture Society for the Americas (MPSA) was an organization formed during World War II by
the Office of the Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs (OCIAA), a U.S. government agency. The goal was
to promote cultural relations and economic collaboration between North and South America. To that end the
MPSA encouraged Hollywood film producers to include Latin American themes, locations, music, and talent
in their films. The organization was made up of film industry executives at the studios, agencies, and
guilds, with producer Walter Wanger serving as president. The MPSA ended its mission in 1946.
17.2 linear feet of papers.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.