The Harold C. Bryant field notes collection consists of field notes and specimen records completed in California and southern
Oregon between 1910-1927. The majority of the work represented here coincides with Bryant's time with the MVZ and UC Berkeley,
where he served as a lecturer and field trip leader for the UC Extension academic program from 1914-1930.
Harold C. Bryant (1886-1968) was a key figure in the establishment of museums and visitor centers for the National Park Service.
Bryant also helped propel the concept of nature guiding, in which public education takes place in the national parks. Having
received a B.S. in zoology/ornithology from Pomona College and an M.S. and PhD in zoology and palenontology from UC Berkeley,
Bryant joined the MVZ staff, serving as a lecturer and field trip leader for the UC Extension academic program from 1914-1930.
With Joseph Grinnell as his mentor, Bryant began nature guiding in the Yosemite Valley in 1919 and set into motion the Yosemite
Nature Guide Service in 1920. In 1925, Bryant became the first director of the Yosemite School of Field Natural History, an
institution responsible for educating thousands of park naturalists. Later in life, he was appointed superintendent of the
Grand Canyon National Park, where he determined new bird, butterfly, and plant species. In 1954, he was honored with the Department
of the Interior Distinguished Service Award and earned many additional honorary awards and recognitions throughout his lifetime.
Copyright restrictions may apply. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted to the Museum of Vertebrate
Zoology Archives in writing for approval. Please contact the Museum Archivist for further information.