The Los Angeles Newspaper Guild (LANG)
was chartered in 1937 as a local chapter of the American Newspaper Guild. They organized
and represented newspaper employees throughout Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Orange, and
San Bernardino counties in grievances and collective bargaining negotiations. In 2001,
they merged with the Communications Workers of America. The collection documents these
and other activities of the union via extensive administrative records, correspondence,
legal documents, and published materials. The collection is particularly rich in its
coverage of the 1967-1973
Los Angeles Herald-Examiner
On December 15, 1933 the founders of the American Newspaper Guild (ANG) held their
founding convention, at which they became part of the American Federation of Labor
(AFL). As such, union membership was primarily limited to those employed in editorial
departments. The Los Angeles Newspaper Guild (LANG) was officially chartered by the ANG
in January 1937. That same year the AFL expelled the ANG, and it joined the Committee
for Industrial Organizations (CIO). As a member of the CIO the ANG could accept members
from outside editorial departments, so any newspaper employee could join.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.