The collection consists of papers related chiefly to the business affairs of Conway S.
Campbell-Johnston and A. Campbell-Johnston and the San Rafael Ranch Company in the Garvanza neighborhood near Pasadena, California,
from the 1880s to the early 1900s.
The papers include Ranch correspondence, business and real estate papers, Campbell-Johnson estate papers, account books, as
well as maps, ephemera,
and photographs related to the history of Southern California, and in particular
the San Rafael Heights/Garvanza region.
The San Rafael Ranch was created in 1883, when Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Robert Campbell-Johnston visited the small town of
California (near present-day Pasadena), and purchased 2,000 acres of the former Rancho San Rafael from Victor Beaudry. They
left the ranch in
the hands of their sons and went back to England, but they returned in 1888. The ranch was used for cattle grazing and many
buildings were constructed,
including the Church of the Angels. The sons ran the ranch until about 1920, when the land was subdivided.
115 items in 5 boxes
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for
identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader