Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the St. Francis Square Cooperative, Inc. Collection 1957-2010
SFH 62  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (124.18 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Cooperative records and publications that were distributed to shareholders by the Board of Directors, Manager, and committees, together with additional articles, clippings, and other materials collected by shareholder, archivist and donor Carol Cuénod.
Background
St. Francis Square Cooperative, Inc. is a moderate-income housing development completed in 1963 as part of San Francisco's Western Addition Redevelopment A-1 Program. The A-1 Redevelopment Program, which was funded by the Federal Housing Administration, began in the mid-1950s with families and businesses being removed by eminet domain and properties being bulldozed. The first action in the heart of the demolition area was to widen Geary Street to an eight lane expressway to move traffic through the Fillmore into the Richmond District, with tunnels under Fillmore St. and Presidio/Masonic. The dislocated families and businesses were scattered with no foreseeable ability to return, for the cleared land lay fallow for several years.
Extent
4 cartons (4.0 cubic feet)
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
Availability
The collection is open for research.