Record Series 335 contains reports and proposals generated by members of UCLA's Department of Kinesiology. Files include annual
reports, conference presentations, studies, and proposals concerning departmental operations.
The current Department of Kinesiology trace its origins to the Department of Physical Education established in 1915 as a part
of the Los Angeles Normal School. During the 1920s, the department's efforts were devoted to the training of Physical Education
teachers and the administration of the Physical Education classes that were required of all undergraduates. In 1938, the department
instituted a Master of Science program; and in 1947, a Doctorate of Education was added to the department's curriculum. During
the 1950s and 1960s, several research laboratories were founded, including: the Human Performance Laboratory, Perception and
Motor Learning Laboratory, and Underwater Research Laboratory. In 1973, the Department of Physical Education changed its name
to the Department of Kinesiology. A PhD program was instituted in 1979.
0.8 linear ft.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.