Finding aid to the William C. and Frank M. Parcher Papers MS.596

Finding aid prepared by Glenna Schroeder, Lisa Bechtold
Autry National Center, Braun Research Library
234 Museum Drive
Los Angeles, CA, 90065-5030
323-221-2164
rroom@theautry.org
2011


Title: William C. and Frank M. Parcher Papers,
Identifier/Call Number: MS.596
Contributing Institution: Autry National Center, Braun Research Library
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.75 Linear feet (1 box); 1oversized folder
Date (inclusive): 1911-1931
Abstract: The collection consists of the documents of father and son, William C. and Frank M. Parcher from 1911 to 1931. William’s portion includes documents from his time with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce circa 1918-1921. Frank’s portion includes professional documents from his time at the Southwest Museum and his writing on Native Americans of Eastern California. William C. Parcher was father to Frank M. Parcher. William C. Parcher, born circa 1873 and died 1945, was the secretary of the Bishop Chamber of Commerce from circa 1918 to 1921. In 1920, he opened Parcher’s Rainbow Camp, which to this day, still functions as a resort.
creator: Granquist, Genevieve C., fl. 1928.
creator: Parcher, Frank M., 1903-1974
creator: Parcher, William C., 1873-1945

Preferred citation

William C. and Frank M. Parcher Papers, 1911-1931, Braun Research Library Collection, Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA: MS. 596, [folder number] [folder title][date].

Custodial History

Presumably, Frank M. Parcher left these documents to the Braun. It is unknown when they were donated, as the library’s records have no information.

Processing information

Collection previously partially processed by Glenna Schroeder circa 1977-1981. Finding aid completed by Braun Research Library volunteer Lisa Bechtold, February- April 2011. Final processing of collection and publication of finding aid made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Biographical note

William C. Parcher was father to Frank M. Parcher, who inherited his father’s papers to form this collection. William C. Parcher (circa 1873-1945), was the secretary of the Bishop Chamber of Commerce (circa 1918- 1921) and in 1920, he opened Parcher’s Rainbow Camp, which to this day, still functions as a resort. He was married to Marie Louise Parcher and they had two sons, Ward Parcher and Frank M. Parcher, both who would be involved in the resort, Ward more so than Frank.
In addition to working with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce, William previously worked with the Los Angeles Times and later bought the Owens Valley Herald and the Inyo Independent.
Frank M. Parcher (1903-1974) was born in Los Angeles, California. His early life was divided between the Inyo and Los Angeles areas. In 1928, Frank founded the Eastern California Museum in Independence, California. From 1930 August to 1932 March, he served as the Assistant Secretary at the Southwest Museum from which he conducted research on the Native American tribes of eastern California. He spent much of his middle to later life working as a public servant to the Native American tribes of eastern California and Nevada, with the American Red Cross, the Owens Valley Indian Rehabilitation Project, and the Federal Civil Defense Administration.
His first wife was Genevieve C. Granquist, dates of marriage unknown, with whom he had a daughter, Harriet Mary Granquist. Genevieve died and Frank later remarried Florence Parcher (Florence's maiden name is unknown).

Scope and content

The collection consists of the documents of father and son, William C. and Frank M. Parcher. William’s portion includes documents from his time with the Bishop Chamber of Commerce circa 1918-1921. Items include correspondence, institutional records, ephemera, news clippings, government reports, and realia related to Owens Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, Bishop Chamber of Commerce, California water history, and the Los Angeles Aqueduct.
Frank’s portion includes professional documents from his time at the Southwest Museum and his writing on Native Americans of eastern California. Items include correspondence; financial documents; literary manuscripts; and a newspaper article. Frank’s papers also include his and Genevieve's notes on eastern California Indians; Genevieve's personal papers; four maps of California; and Frank's writings on Owens Valley.

Arrangememt

  • Series 1: William C. Parcher Papers, 1918-1931
  • Series 2: Frank M. Parcher Papers, 1928-1931
  • Series 3: Genevieve C. Granquist papers, 1928, undated
  • Series 4: Maps and realia, 1911, 1917, undated

Use

Copyright has not been assigned to the Autry National Center. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Autry Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Autry National Center as the custodian of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

Access

Collection is open for research. Appointments to view materials are required. To make an appointment please visit http://theautry.org/research/research-rules-and-application or contact library staff at rroom@theautry.org. An item-level inventory is available from library staff.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Bishop Chamber of Commerce (Bishop, Calif.).
Southwest Museum (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Bishop (Calif.)
Clippings.
Correspondence.
Financial records.
Indians of North America -- California.
Inyo County (Calif.)
Manuscripts.
Maps.
Owens Valley (Calif.)
Parcher's Rainbow Camp (Bishop, Calif.)
Petitions.
Programs.
Receipts (financial records).
Water reuse.
Water use -- California.

 

William C. Parcher Papers, Series I:  1918-1931

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 1-5

Correspondence, Subseries 1: 1918-1921

Box 1, Folder 1

Bishop Chamber of Commerce, 1918

Box 1, Folder 2

Bishop Chamber of Commerce, 1919

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 3

Bishop Chamber of Commerce, 1920

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 4

Bishop Chamber of Commerce, 1921, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 5

General correspondence, Bulk, 1918-1921 1918-1931

Language of Material: English
Box 1, folders 6-11

Bishop Chamber of Commerce records, Subseries 2: 1920, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 6

Draft resolutions, 1920, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 7

Reports, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 8

Rosters, 1917-1919, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 9

Suggestion forms, circa 1920

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Includes survey forms. Some of the forms are blank and some are filled out by members. Form asks members to suggest items that are considered important for the Bishop Chamber of Commerce to address. Suggestions from members relate to boosterism, city development, agriculture, education, irrigation issues, farmers, and cooperation between all Bishop towns and cities.
Box 1, Folder 10

Minutes, 1919

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 11

Expense receipts, 1918-1921

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 12

Petition form, undated

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Two copies of a petition to "procure the standardizing of that certain line of Narrow Gauge Railroad, as the same now exists, to a Standard Gauge Railroad, from the town of Owenyeo in the County of Inyo, State of California, to or near the town of Mina in the State of Nevada".
Box 1, Folder 13

Statement showing amount of freight carried by Southern Pacific Company over its line in Owens Valley, circa 1928

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 14

Programs, 1911-1915

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Programs for events hosted by Bishop Chamber of Commerce includes:
  • Prospectors Convention, 1911 September 4
  • Pilot tour of the Pasear banquet, 1912 June 27
  • Indian Entertainment at the Bishop Opera House, 1915 March 12
  • Prospectors Convention, undated
Box 1, Folder 15

Owens Valley promotional material, 1925-1926, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 16

Newspaper clippings, Bulk, 1919-1920 1919-1927, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 17

Government reports and documents, Bulk, 1919-1920 1919-1927

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 18

Government reports and documents, 1925, 1928

Language of Material: English
Folder 34

Board of Directors notes and 1917 financial report 1918 March - May

Language of Material: English
 

Frank M. Parcher Papers, Series 2: 1928-1931

Language of Material: English
Box 1, folders 19-20

Southwest Museum documents, Subseries 1: 1928-1931

Box 1, Folder 19

Correspondence, 1928-1931

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 20

Southwest Museum financial documents, 1930-1931

Language of Material: English
 

Writings about Owens Valley and Owens Valley Indians by Parcher, Subseries 2: circa 1931

Box 1, Folder 21

Manuscript, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 22

Los Angeles Times article, 1931 July 5

Language of Material: English
Box 1, folders 23-31

Indians of Eastern California, Subseries 3: 1928, undated

Box 1, Folder 23

Bibliography, 1931 November 3

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 24

Notes regarding the living conditions, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 25

Paiute language translations, 1916 August

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Title of the document, "An English translation of the language used by the Indians in the Northern end of Owens Valley. The document also notes that it was "compiled by Mrs Foster, a teacher at the Bishop Indian School, during August 1916."
Box 1, Folder 26

Notes on Eastern Mono, circa 1929

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 27

Paiute myths, undated

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Typed manuscript of multiple stories.
Box 1, Folder 28

Description of "Indian Games", 1930 Februrary - March

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Folder includes description of "Indian games as told by Mrs. Lochrie during February and March, 1930 at Independence. Mrs. Lochrie is a 'Nevada Indian' or North Indian a part of the Eastern California Indians." Mrs Lochrie describes the Hand Game or Stick Game, Dart and Hoop Game, Hockey, and Dice.
 

Genevieve C. Granquist papers, Series 3:  1928, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 29

Notes from “Elementary Music Methods”, 1928

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 30

Untitled manuscript of a short story set in Owens Valley, undated

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 31

Handwritten notes, undated

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Includes a listing of winners for best Indian baskets, bows and arrows, arrowheads, buckskin clothing, beadwork, and pottery. Carrie Bethel is noted as the winner of "Best Indian Willow Basket" and "Best Beaded Basket".
 

Maps and realia, Series 4: 1911, 1917, undated

Box 1, Folder 32

Realia, undated

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Contains felt cloth badge for the "Southern California Editorial Assn Bishop, Cal. Oct 11-13" and Inyo Good Road Club pin.
 

Maps, 1911, 1917

Box 1, Folder 33, item Item 1

Map of Inyo National Forest and Nevada, 1917

Language of Material: English
Box 1, Folder 33, item 2

Map of Inyo National Forest and Nevada with markings, 1917

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Contains markings designating "Open season" for two areas.
Box 1, Folder 33, item 3-4

"The Big Red Apple: The Money Tree," by H. N. Beard 1911

Language of Material: English

Scope and contents

Promotional folder for "The Aqueduct Land and Orchards County", Los Angeles, California. Contains a "Map of California Showing route of the Los Angeles Aqueduct and California's great Apple District - The Owens River Valley" (2 copies).