Adobe walls of the bank after the fire. Winter of 1903. When Peter Hoverly was ill in a rooming house next door to the bank,
a friend lighted an oil heater which had gasoline instead of oil and when it exploided[sic] badly burning Mr. Hoverly and
set the bank afire. It was all over in 20 minutes and the town was no doubt saved by the heroic efforts of every man, woman,
and child. C.H. Heard the owner of the only store wrapped himself in wetblankets[sic] his wife sent from her home, climbed
onto roof of the bank and threw on water handed him in buckets, stew pans and kettles.