We're sorry, the item identifed as
ark:/13030/kt396nd96c has been
Brand Blvd. (Glendale, Calif.)
The City of Glendale, situated at the eastern end of the San Fernando Valley and bisected by the Verdugo Mountains, is considered
a suburb of the Greater Los Angeles Area. Incorporated in 1906, Glendale was originally part of Rancho San Rafael, founded
by Don Jose Maria Verdugo who settled the area in 1784. As one of the main streets in Glendale, Brand Blvd. is named after
Leslie Coombs Brand (1859-1925), a major figure in the economic growth of Glendale who made his fortune in transportation,
real estate and utilities. Among his many contributions to Glendale, he built the first airport in the area, and partnered
with Henry E. Huntington to bring the Pacific Electric Railway ("Red Cars") to the community resulting in a population growth
spurt. Brand donated an 82-acre parcel of land to be used as a park and public library that was developed after his wife's
death in 1945. Built in 1914, the 900-seat Palace Grand Theatre was owned by Henry C. Jensen. In 1923, he sold it to the
T D & L Company that later became part of the Fox theatre circuit.
Series number: 735
Material is in the public domain. No restrictions on use.