Runways (Aeronautics)--Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)
A view looking over the airfield toward the main building of the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport, a white building with
a red tile roof. In the foreground, attendants in white uniforms load supplies onto the plane, which has "The Mainline" and
"United Air Lines" written along its side. On the tail is written, "U.S. Mail [...] Air Express."
The Bob Hope airport in Burbank, California opened in 1930 under the name of United Airport. It was built by the United Airports
Company, and was for a time the primary airport for the Los Angeles area. In 1934, it was renamed Union Air Terminal. In
1940, the nearby Lockheed Aircraft Company purchased the airport, changing its name to Lockheed Air Terminal and expanding
its facilities to serve the war effort during World War II. Even during the war, however, it continued to operate as a commercial
airport. After the war, many of the commercial airlines moved to the new, larger Los Angeles Municipal Airport (now LAX),
located in Westchester. In order to attract more business, Lockheed renamed the airport in 1967 with the more glamorous title
of Hollywood-Burbank Airport. In 1978, Lockheed sold the airport to an airport authority created by the cities of Burbank,
Glendale, and Pasadena. It was renamed once more in 2003 in honor of entertainer Bob Hope.
Publisher's serial number: 70192; Series number: T572
Printed on linen textured paper.
Department of Archives and Special Collections, Loyola Marymount University Library.