Domingo Dela Rosa, born in 1900 in Ilococos Sur, Philippines, was a former schoolteacher before he arrived in Seattle, Washington,
in 1927. Initially working in Alaska before settling in Oxnard in 1928, Dela Rosa was a pioneer, father figure, and advocate
for the early Filipinos in Oxnard. Dela Rosa translated, advocated, and intervened on behalf of Filipinos when disputes arose.
He was a farm laborer and entrepreneur and owned a dozen businesses in his lifetime, including the Plaza Restaurant at 301
South C Street, Shipside Cafe in Port Hueneme, a pool hall, a hamburger stand, bars, a barbershop, rental properties, and
gift shops, as well as multiple business incarnations at his storefront at 127 Enterprise Street in Oxnard.
California State University, Channel Islands, John Spoor Broome Library
Lisa and Domingo Dela Rosa Jr.
Ventura County (Calif.)
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires written permission
of the coyright owners. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gifts or purchase agreements,
donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially
exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.